Extra Safety Measures In Place For Wednesday’s Vice President Debate

(ConservativePeak.com)- The vice presidential debate scheduled for Wednesday night is on for now. But it will look a little different than the presidential debate that took place last week.

Plexiglass will separate Vice President Mike Pence and Democratic nominee Kamala Harris on stage, sources have told CNN.

The decision was made Monday by the Commission on Presidential Debates as well as the Cleveland Clinic as the number of confirmed coronavirus cases at the White House continues to increase.

Pence attended the Rose Garden event last week that has been identified as the possible source of the outbreak at the White House, but he has continued to test negative for the virus every day since. That’s why the debate is set to be held as regularly scheduled for now.

Pence’s team obviously agreed to the new arrangement, but they had mocking words for their challenger. Katie Miller, a spokeswoman for Pence, said:

“If Senator Harris wants to use a fortress around herself, have at it.”

The status of the final two presidential debates is up in the air at the moment. President Donald Trump tested positive for the coronavirus late last week and spent a few days over the weekend in the hospital. While he has since returned to the White House, it’s unlikely the next debate would be held unless he tests negative before it.

The status of that debate, scheduled for October 15, will “depend on the president’s health,” a planning official said. A spokesman for the Trump campaign, Tim Murtaugh, said “it is the president’s intention to debate” on the 15th.

An aide for Joe Biden’s campaign said Monday they expect “the commission and the Cleveland Clinic to ensure these debates happen safely, and we fully intend on debating Donald Trump should the medical experts believe it can be done safely.”

It’s possible that the commission will even consider moving the debates to a virtual format. This would mean that both candidates would debate from remote locations through a video feed.

One member of the commission commented anonymously to CNN, saying:

“The Commission, including me, is certainly open to virtual operations of the debates, without question.”

For now, the commission is continuing operations as if the next two debates will happen as originally planned. After the October 15 debate in Miami, the final debate is scheduled in Nashville for October 22.

Contingency plans are also being crafted in the meantime, though, because of the uncertainty of Trump’s health going forward, as well as CDC guidelines on when he can safely return to campaign. Isolation rules could also come into play for Trump, since he has tested positive for coronavirus.

According to the CDC, Trump needs to isolate for 10 days after his symptoms first started, and for at least 24 hours after his fever subsides without the use of any medications that reduce fever.

On Wednesday night, Harris and Pence will be separated by 12 feet and eight inches, which is a greater distance than normal. Many officials also hope air quality will be a topic of particular concern, and not just the distance between the candidates.